2/01/2011

Is Japanese food healthier?

I am wondering if Japanese food is healthier than other countries' food. Lots of people in the world say that we, Japanese people, eat better than everybody else. But, is it true? This is my personal opinion though, I would say "No".  Think... What is typical Japanese food? Rice, miso soup, fish, pickles, Tofu, etc..., right? As you know, Rice is not really healthy thing because it changes to sugar immediately after putting it in our mouth. If you have diabetes, your doctor might say not to eat a lot of rice. Miso soup contains lots of salt. Some people's bodies get swollen after they have miso soup. I can't say all fish are healthy. If you eat Tuna sashimi everyday, you may gain weight from its fat. Also pickles are made with a bunch of salt. Compared to other countries, the rate Japanese people die from stomach cancer is much higher. Everybody knows it is because we consume a large quantity of salt daily.

When I went to Korea, I was surprised by the amount of vegetables that Korean people eat.  They eat great amount of meat, but as much as the meat, they eat veggies as well. How can we say Koreans are unhealthy? To me, they look very healthy.

I have Italian friends who love eating. The image of Italian food is Pasta, Pizza or Rissoto. Looks like all carbohydrates, but of course they don't eat only carbs. They eat fish, veggies and so on. Just like Japanese people don't eat only rice, Italians have variety in their diet. Needless to say, regarding their diet, my friends are not unhealthy.  Not only these two other countries, but Chinese food uses a lot of oil. However, they look as healthy as we are. Chinese people must eat well, too, right?

Huh? I haven't mention American food yet? American food is unhealthy? ...maybe...  When I was in the U.S., I was 30 lbs(about 15kg)heavier than now. But I am pretty sure it is because I ate as much as I wanted, whatever and whenever!!  I am positive there are so many people who are in good shape in America, too.  You may think American food is only hamburgers, fried chicken and steaks. But do not forget the United States is called "a Melting Pot". You can find any cuisine there. My favorites were Arabic, Vietnamese and Hawaiian cuisine. I also liked Gumbo, which is eaten among African Americans. It rocks! yay!

Japanese food is healthier?  Hmmm..., I think it's a Myth.
The keywords of healthy food are "Balance" and "Amount".

No comments:

Post a Comment