2/16/2011

How to improve your English

A fair amount of people in my town want to learn English. I don't know the reasons why, but they do. If I were them, I wouldn't want to though, because I am not curious in learning languages at all. When I was a high school student, I needed to learn how to read old Chinese and old Japanese. It was unbelievably difficult for me, so I gave up on it. English was not an exception. I hated English class, so I was thinking how I could ditch the class all the time. However, now I speak and write English well.

Human lives are strange. The person who hated English knows how to speak it.

Some people ask me how to study English. My answer is always the same, "Do not try to be perfect". Lots of people want to speak English perfectly without making any mistakes. I guess making mistakes embarrasses them. But the mistakes make you grow.

Here is my small story. 

The first place I lived in the U.S. was Utah. When I was there, I couldn't speak English at all. The only phrases I knew were such sayings as "Good Morning" "I love you" "Bye-Bye" "How are you?"... something extremely basic. Of course I couldn't have any conversations with my American roommates with those super-duper basics, so I felt very lonely. One day, one of my roommates from Virginia spoke to me. She asked me to go to a gym together. I even didn't know how to say "No, thank you, I have to do my homework" in English... so, I said "Yes".  On the bus after exercising, I realized that I left my necklace and earnings in the locker room. And without thinking, I screamed "my accessory!" My roommate said "What?" I told her "I forget my accessory gym!" (Ahh, horrible English!). She calmed me down and told me again, "What did you say?" . I said again, "My accessory, forget!"  She laughed out loud. No wonder, all jewelry is called "Accessory" in Japanese, but not in America. That I left accessories may mean "I am a robot and left my body parts at the gym."...

When I found out that mistake, I laughed at it with her again and learned how to say it correctly. I was scared of making mistakes but since then, I realized making mistakes leads to correct English.

Oh, Here is a tip. After learning how to say the right phrases, use the right one. Do not use the one you made a mistake with. Some people keep using wrong phrases like an old habit, even though it had been pointed out. Those people are never able to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment