11/14/2010

Lotus Root

My husband and I went to Naruto (鳴門市) to dig up lotus roots. In Asian countries, many people eat them. They are actually one of my favorite vegetables. But, every time I see them at the supermarket, I hesitate in buying them. They are VERY expensive! … So when I heard that there was an event where we could dig up some lotus root, as well as take home however much we dug up, I absolutely thought we had to go and we did go.

..Dude… It was very hard digging them up. I didn’t even imagine they grew that deep in the mud and clay. It took one hour to dig up just one full root from the soil. All of my clothes and shoes were caked with mud.

That night, my body was totally dead..but  we ate a special dinner made with lotus root. They are very healthy and good for digestion, as well as good for relieving sore throats and fatigue. I learned that I shouldn’t have complained about the price of lotus root at the supermarket. I definitely learned that I have to appreciate a farmer’s hard work.


No comments:

Post a Comment