10/09/2010

pottery

It is hard. I just can say that. You may be wondering what's so hard?! Okay, I am telling you. I am talking about pottery. Pottery is hard! My husband has experience doing it and since we came to Japan, we had been looking for studios for the hobby. A couple month ago, we found a kiln where we can take class. I was curious in making my cup and plates by myself, so without thinking, I submitted the application.
My husband makes beautiful plates in a short time. It looked so easy that I can do the same. But...yeah, you already know what I am gonna say...Yes, I WAS wrong! Yes, it WAS hard!  While working on a wheel,  every single second I regret why I am taking this class. The clay is never nice to me. Sad. Before firing, my work is super ugly and makes me worry if I should break them and start it over.  But the moment I see them coming from the kiln, my misgivings go away.  My works are as beautiful as my husband's. They don't look like professional ones, but still, very charming and tasteful. I have a love-hate relationship with pottery. It is complicated.




No comments:

Post a Comment